Wolves face the Thundercats Saturday night in semi-final game five




Shutout for Hamilton – Ripley Wolves’ goalie Jason Hamilton stopped a punishing 37 shots on net as the Wolves claimed a 4-0 victory Friday night. (Pauline Kerr photo)

The stands were filled Friday night, March 2, as the Ripley Wolves claimed a 4-0 victory over the Thundercats. Unfortunately, the Wolves lost 6-3 the next afternoon in Durham.


The Wolves will try to stave off eliminationin game five at home Saturday night, March 10 at 7 p.m. – the Thundercats lead the series three games to one. Game six, if necessary, is Sunday afternoon, 1:30 p.m. in Durham. If the series goes to game seven, it will be in Ripley Tuesday, March 13, 8:30 p.m.


Ripley goalie Jason Hamilton made the difference Friday night, stopping everything the Durham offence could throw at him – he made 37 saves. Durham goalie Gatlin Burt stopped 23 of 27 shots.


Ripley scored part way through the first period – Brent Walton from Brett Catto and Cody Britton, and teammate Dylan Sayle scored from Jarred Colling and Mike Oscada to give the Wolves a 2-0 lead by the end of the period.


Britton scored from Catto in the second to widen the gap. The Thundercats never gave up, pulling their goalie for the extra attacker late in the third period. The puck went in the Durham net with five minutes left on the clock, but was called offside, and the score stayed at 3-0. With less than four minutes to go in the third period, the Thundercats got into some penalty trouble, and Britton scored on the power play, Walton and Catto getting the assists, to give Ripley a 4-0 victory.


Saturday afternoon in Durham was a different kind of game, ending in a 6-3 loss for the Wolves. The Thundercats led 3-0 by the end of the first period. The wolves fought back in the second, with goals by Patrick Weijack and Patrick Looby (assists – Colling, Tyson Soers and Nick Seiler) to close the gap.


The Thundercats came back strong in the third, scoring twice in the first two minutes to take a 5-2 lead. Both teams would score one more by the end of the period – Garrett Satosek for the Wolves, from Colling and Seiler, to end the game at 6-3 for Durham.