5-0 win for Huron United


Huron United remained unbeaten in SWRSA Premier League soccer action with a 5-0 win over Fergus Sunday afternoon at the Davidson Centre in Kincardine.

Peter Stoeckli battles for the ball against a Fergus FEDS midfielder Sunday afternoon at the Davidson Centre in Kincardine. Stoeckli was named man of the match and scored Huron United's fifth goal of the game. (Josh Howald photo)


The final score was somewhat flattering to the home side, said coach Malcolm Godard Monday morning. Godard felt the FEDS had the better start and the clearer chances in the first 20 minutes of this game. While Huron United did concede a handful of corner kicks, the host team also had a succession of scoring chances in the early going. The best came when striker Damian Gunaratne volleyed a ball over the head of the FEDS keeper, but it sailed just high of the bar.

Derek Andrew struck first for Huron United in the 24th minute. Terron Hyre sent him in alone with a through ball, and Andrew poked the pass to the right side of the keeper for a 1-0 lead.

The game remained very even, but two goals from Gunaratne in a five-minute span gave Huron United a commanding lead going to the half.

The first goal came after Ivo Ferriera evaded a couple of tackles and sent the ball into Gunaratne's path. The striker made no mistake from just six yards out. He scored his second goal when he collected his own rebound and again scored from close range.

Fergus regrouped and started the second half with a fair amount of possession, but the FEDS were unable to finish. That was in part thanks to some fine work in net by Aidan Calcutt and some gritty defensive battles. Huron United came out on the right side of some blocked shots and goalmouth scrambles. Calcutt recorded his first clean sheet of the season.

Thirty minutes into the second half, Adam Winchester made it 4-0 from 15 yards out. Peter Stoeckli set that goal up. A few minutes later, Stoeckli topped off a man of the match performance with Huron United's fifth goal. He managed to put the ball into the bottom right hand corner from a very tight angle to the left of the goal.

Godard was pleased with his team's performance in this match and said both individually and collectively his team stepped up the intensity and quality of play.

With the win, Huron United is now 2-0, while Fergus is now 1-1 after the result.

Huron United is in action again Sunday in Walkerton. Kick-off at the Bruce Power Regional Soccer Park is set for 3:30 p.m. It will be the first game of the season for Walkerton FC.