Huron United moves on with 4-1 win


Huron United booked a spot in the semi-finals of the David Forsyth Inter-League Cup Friday with a 4-1 win over Inter United of the Kitchener Tri-Cities League.

The game had a frenetic pace from start-to-finish, with neither team having any time to settle on the ball. Consequently, it was the most exciting game of the season both for players and spectators.

Huron United got off to a tremendous start when after just three minutes, Matt Brown fizzed in a free kick from 25 yards. His shot dipped just under the crossbar, beating the keeper with its pace and accuracy.

Just six minutes later, Huron United made it 2-0 when a corner kick from Brown found the head of Terron Hyre, who sent it to Peter Stoeckli. Stoeckli buried the chance from close range, and then made it 3-0 in the 24th minute when he weaved his way through the Inter defence for a brilliant solo goal. With Huron United in fine form, the home team’s keeper pulled off a string of outstanding saves to keep the score 3-0 at the half.

Inter United came out very strong in the second half and pulled a goal back eight minutes in when a long through ball beat the defence and the ball was rolled into the bottom right hand corner, giving Aidan Calcutt no chance.

The hosts continued to pressure Huron United but strong defending a lot of diving bodies blocking shots prevented Inter from reducing the deficit. The game was finally put to bed in the last minute when Brown hoofed a long hopeful clearance downfield and it was chased down by Ivo Ferreira, who calmly lobbed the ball over a charging goalkeeper from 30 yards away.

Stoeckli was voted man of the match for his two goal-effort and his tireless running in the midfield, but again it was another team effort.

Huron United does not yet know who its opponent will be in the semi-final contest, but they still have one important league game to play. The final SWRSA league game is in Listowel Sept. 11. A win gurantees Huron United the SWRSA Premier League championship.