Bulldogs locked into second


By Josh Howald

It will be Goderich, Hanover or a bye in the first round for the Nicol Insurance Kincardine Bulldogs.

Kincardine celebrates Robert White's overtime winner Saturday evening as Hanover goalie Gord Walmsley skates off the ice at the Davidson Centre. (Josh Howald photo)


The final weekend of the season will mean nothing to any team in the Western Junior C League, as far as playoff match-ups are concerned. While some teams have two games remaining and others have one, nobody can move up or down in the standings, regardless of the results.

Walkerton will finish first overall and can take a first round bye or place the seventh place Goderich Flyers. If the Hawks take the bye, the second place Bulldogs would get the 2-32 Flyers in the opening round. If Walkerton decides to play Goderich, Kincardine could then take the bye or choose to play the sixth place Hanover Barons.

Get all that? Don't worry, it will all be settled soon enough.

Kincardine assured themselves a second place finish with a pair of wins on the weekend, the second one in overtime on home ice. The 'Dogs have a 25-9-1 record with one game remaining, a Friday night home game against Mount Forest.

Saturday night at the Davidson Centre, Robert White scored in overtime to send a large crowd at the Davidson Centre home happy. The defenceman leaped on the sideboards to grab a puck, spun on the way down, dropped the puck at his feet and fired a quick shot on net. He knocked his own rebound past Hanover goalie Gord Walmsley to give the Bulldogs a 4-3 win.

After a scoreless first period, the teams traded second period power play markers. Tanner Mighton struck first for the Barons, followed by a pair of goals from Kincardine defenceman Eric Langridge. Langridge scored at 10:40 and again at 15:32 to give the 'Dogs a one-goal lead. Mitch Wand scored with just one second left in the middle frame, however, to even the score heading for the third.

Derrick Bernath scored from Shawn Rooke and Keegan Angel three minutes into the third period, but Mitch Pike scored for Hanover midway through the period to make it 3-3 and overtime necessary.

Friday night in Wingham, Dalton Hnatko scored the game winning goal with just 36 seconds to give Kincardine a 5-4 win over the Ironmen.

Patrick Wiejak scored twice for Kincardine, while Shawn Moore and Luke Czuczman each scored once. Jayden Landry, Greg Hansford, Keifer MacInnes, and Ryan McNeil scored for Wingham. Moore's goal was a shorthanded tally from Gerrit Satosek that made the game 2-2 with four seconds left in the opening period. Wingham took the lead early in the third, but Wiejak's second goal of the game made it 4-4 with six minutes to go before Hnatko's winner with 36 ticks left on the clock.

Jacob Hutchings was in goal for Kincardine in both weekend wins.

As mentioned, Kincardine has one more regular season game on the schedule. Mount Forest will visit the Davidson Centre Friday night for an 8:30 p.m. contest.