Goderich wins McMillan Memorial

Kincardine knocked out by Petrolia

By Josh Howald

There was no repeat this time around.

Chase Meurs of the Miller Insurance midget Kinucks spends some time airborne after ripping a slapshot at the Twin Centre net during the Archie McMillan Memorial hockey tournament on the weekend at the Davidson Centre in Kincardine. (Josh Howald photo)


To be honest, the Kincardine Miller Insurance Kinucks never really threatened to win the annual Archie McMillan Memorial Tournament over the weekend in Kincardine.

"We ran out of steam," said head coach Cory Hamilton.

Hamilton was coaching with a limited bench on the weekend with several key players out of the line-up with injuries. It is something he is going to have to get used to, with several players knocked out for the foreseeable future.

"The boys battled hard, but we were short staffed on the back end and we just couldn't get enough offence generated," he said. "The boys battled, and we didn't ever give up more than three goals (in a game), so there are some positives to talk about. We will get back to work this week at practice."

The McMillan tournament featured eight midget teams, split into two groups. Kincardine played Goderich to a draw, then lost to Aylmer, making the third game against Penetang an important one. This game was a good one, but Penetang scored a go-ahead goal with less than two minutes to play after a glorious Kincardine chance. The midgets didn't give up, however, and stormed back to pressure Penetang in the final 30 seconds. It looked like the Kinucks were going to tie it up off the rush when Chase Meurs rang the crossbar with 10.6 seconds left. But it went bar and up, out of play and it ended 3-2.

That put Kincardine on the consolation side of the tournament, where they met Twin Centre on Sunday morning. The teams played a fast, physical, entertaining hockey game that remained scoreless until the last possible second of the first period. Kincardine swatted home a rebound after a cross-crease chance at the buzzer. It was an extremely close call, and officials counted the goal, upsetting the Twin Centre bench.

There was no disputing Kincardine's second goal. In the middle frame, Meurs cut down the right wing, and as he hit the face-off dots he lasered a wrister over the shoulder of goalie Spencer Adam and into the top left hand corner of the net to make it 2-0. With six minutes to go in the game, Ethan Long showed some great finish in tight, burying a wrister under the crossbar on the short side to give the Kinucks a 3-0 lead.

To Twin Centre's credit, they hung in there and responded with Adam on the bench for an extra attacker with three minutes left. Then, with the score 3-1, goaltender Ethan Primeau saw his chance to shoot at an empty net - and he took it. A Twin Centre forward, however, calmly picked his shot out of the sky before waltzing in and deking out the goalie to make it a one-goal game. That's as close as it got though, and it ended 3-2.

The win moved the midgets into the consolation final, where they were edged out 3-2 by Petrolia.

Goderich ended up shocking everybody at the McMillan, capturing the tournament championship with an overtime win over Penetang.

Tomorrow (Thursday) night, the Kinucks will host Wingham for an 8:30 p.m. game at the Davidson Centre in Kincardine.