By Barb McKay
Huron Ridge residents won’t have to worry about being forced to disconnect their footing drains, at least for a couple of years.
Council agreed during its meeting last Wednesday evening to put off mandatory disconnection of footing drains in the subdivision until it thoroughly investigates the issue of storm water drainage inflows to the sanitary sewage collection system. The municipality will spend roughly $5,000 for groundwater monitoring wells to study drainage in the subdivision over the next 24 to 36 months.
The notion of potentially forcing residents to disconnect footing drains on their properties has been extremely unpopular amongst Huron Ridge residents and frustrations peaked at a public meeting held at the municipal office in November. A number of residents revealed that their footing drains are disconnected from the sewer system and some do not even have footing drains.
Last week, CAO Murray Clarke explained that perforated storm sewers installed in the subdivision during road reconstruction have lowered the static ground water levels, resulting in reduced flows to the sanitary sewer system. Additional work in the subdivision is expected to further improve drainage. As well, flows recorded at the
“The recommendation is to abandon the imposition of a mandatory disconnect at this time,” Clarke said.
Councillor Candy Hewitt said she was pleased to hear that the municipality would be studying the issue more before acting.
“I’m glad we finally came to the only reasonable conclusion we could come to,” she said. “I’m sure that the residents in Huron Ridge will be relieved that they don’t need to worry about this for the time being.”
Councillor Randy Roppel asked if there was a plan in place to deal with sewage overflow if it were to happen during a spring melt. Clarke said the new outlet installed for the storm sewer is operating correctly and staff has been diligent about making sure it is clear. As well, a wider pipeline will be installed across the base of
Councillor Ken Craig said he still supports the idea of a mandatory disconnect, noting that anyone who has experienced flooding in their basement in the past may be concerned about flooding this spring and will take no comfort in the fact that the municipality is studying the situation for two years.
Mayor Larry Kraemer said that properties that are identified as not contributing to the drainage problem should be released from the study and possible mandatory disconnection. Clarke said staff would report back to council as data is accumulated.