Ashes from the woodstove are being blamed for an early morning house fire on Johnson Crescent that caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.
The Municipality of Kincardine Fire Department said a fire was first reported at 4:44 a.m. Jan. 6. A total of 27 firefighters attended the scene in two pumper trucks, an aerial truck and two rescue trucks. It was after 6 a.m. before the blaze was under control. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading to an adjoining home. The damage to the neighbour's house was kept to some minor heat damage.
The Fire Department said the fire is not considered suspicous. The fire apparently began in a shed outside of the residence and spread to the outer wall of the home, then the roof. In a statement issued by fire staff, the public is reminded to let ashes from a woodstove cool before emptying them inot a metal container with a tightly-fitting lid. That container should be stored outside.