The night before Christmas


'twas the night before Christmas,

When all through the town

Not a creature was stirring not even the larrikin clown.

The stockings were hung by the mayor’s chair with care

In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.

The councillors were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of wind mills danced in their heads.

With the deputy in her kerchief and the mayor in his chain,

Pondering their dreams of long-term gain.

When out on the fifth there arose such a clatter,

The councillors sprang from their beds to see what was the matter.

When, what to their wondering eyes should appear

But a battered old sleigh and eight tiny reindeer,

With a little old driver so irate and quick,

They knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.

He was messily dressed and walked with a list,

And they wondered why he would be shaking his fist.

“You loons have turned this town into a hazard zone,”

Santa screamed in a deafening tone.

“As I travelled through the township of Bruce

The reindeer feared the turbines would turn them to juice.

Surely some of you know that mold is not gold

And you’ll put the Kincardine Arts Centre on hold.

I’ll tell you the smell of the centre is so rich

My reindeer almost fell into the ditch.”

And then members of council were sore afraid

Crying and begging old Santa for aid.

“Maybe these ‘how-to-govern’ tapes will get your ear

And hopefully you can do better in the coming year.”

And then away they all flew

like the down on a thistle.

But council heard him exclaim,

‘ere he drove out of sight,

“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.”

Ditto from Dana and me.


This edition of The Independent is the last of 2012. The next paper will be published Wednesday Jan. 2, 2013. However, because of the holiday, it likely won’t go out in the mail until Thursday, Jan. 3.


Doug Tatum, our advertising sales rep, went home from work feeling fine two weeks ago Monday. Doug was struck by terrible stomach pain that evening and was taken to the Kincardine hospital by ambulance. He was airlifted to Woodstock at 5 a.m. Tuesday and underwent surgery that morning.

Doug was in intensive care for more than a week and is now recovering at home. We wish him a speedy recovery.