Unit 2 achieves commercial operation

Section: 
News

Bruce Power’s groundbreaking Restart Project was officially completed on Oct. 31 with Unit 2 being declared commercially operational just two weeks after the unit first generated electricity. The return to commercial operation of Unit 2 comes just over a week after Unit 1, which achieved this milestone on Oct. 22. Units 1 and 2 had been out of service since the mid 1990s.

“The Restart Project has been a monumental achievement for this company, and returns our site to its full operating potential,” said Duncan Hawthorne, president and CEO of Bruce Power. “Our eight-unit site will provide a reliable source of low-cost electricity to over a quarter of Ontario’s homes, hospitals, schools and businesses for future generations, while also contributing to the phase-out of coal by the end of 2014.”

 “Bruce Power should be congratulated on achieving this important milestone,” said Ontario Minister of Energy, Chris Bentley. “6,300 megawatts from the Bruce Power Site is part of Ontario’s Long-Term Energy Plan to modernize our electricity system for the long-term and to phase-out coal by the end of 2014.”

Bruce Power’s Bruce B units and Unit 3 at Bruce A are also operating at full power, while Unit 4 at Bruce A is still undergoing a planned outage, which is expected to be completed later this year.