Students and staff were evacuated at Kincardine Township Tiverton Public School (KTTPS) last Tuesday after reports of smoke from one of the classrooms.
According to a media release from Kincardine fire chief Jamie MacKinnon, the fire department received a call from the school around that staff could smell smoke. The Kincardine and Tiverton departments sent out six fire trucks with 24 firefighters to the scene.
“Upon arrival all students and staff had safely evacuated away from the building to their meeting place,” MacKinnon said in the release. “Staff did a great job of ensuring children were evacuated and moved to a safe area.”
Firefighters did a search of the school and discovered a small amount of smoke in the tech room. With the help of electricians, firefighters determined that the smoke was caused by a burnt filter in an electric heat exchanger.
Firefighters cleared the smoke and staff and students returned to classrooms at There were no injuries and damage is estimated at less than $500.
KTTPS principal Colleen Maguire sent a notice home with all students Tuesday afternoon to inform parents of what had taken place.
“Both staff and students were safe at all times and our local fire departments were instrumental in resolving the problem quickly,” she said in the letter.
MacKinnon noted that families should have emergencies plans in the event of a fire.
“This serves as a timely reminder during Fire Prevention Week (last week) to have a fire escape plan,” he said. “Practice it and have a meeting place, both at school and at home.”