Bulldogs win in shooutout

Earn win after blowing five goal lead in third

Blake Underwood and Tim Dwinell each scored a shootout goal to lead the Kincardine Bulldogs to an exciting 7-6 win in Kincardine Sunday afternoon.

Kincardine forward Tim Dwinnell fights past a pair of Mitchell Hawks during Western Junior C hockey action Sunday afternoon at the Davidson Centre. (Kiel Edge photo)

Drew Pegrum stopped both Mitchell shooters, while goals from the Western Junior C League’s top two scorers salvaged a win following a third period Kincardine collapse.

The Bulldogs held a 6-0 lead at one point, and entered the third period with a 6-1 lead.

It was the only game of the weekend for Kincardine, which remains two points ahead of the Walkerton Hawks in the standings. The Hawks, who pounded Goderich 8-0 Saturday night, have a game in hand.

All three Western Junior C games scheduled for Friday night were postponed, including a highly anticipated match-up between the ‘Dogs and the Hanover Barons.

Sunday at the Davidson Centre, Kincardine jumped to a 4-0 lead in the first period on goals from Underwood, Mike Rutherford, Taylor Lukasik and Ben Larsen.

Kincardine stretched the lead to 6-0 on second period goals form Lukasik and Dwinnell.

Mitchell finally solved Drew Pegrum, who stopped 34 shots in the win, with eight minutes remaining in the third period.

Kincardine looked to have the game under control, but penalty trouble allowed the Hawks back in the game.

Mitchell scored four consecutive power play goals in a span of six minutes early in the frame to make it 6-5, and with less than three minutes remaining the Hawks tied it while shorthanded.

Dan Raycraft’s goal was followed by another Kincardine penalty, but the ‘Dogs were able to kill it off and hang on in overtime.

Mitchell’s Josh Nurse made 33 stops in the loss, for which Mitchell received one point for taking the game into extra time.

In other Western Junior C action, Hanover beat up on Mount Forest 11-0 Saturday night, but blew a large lead Sunday afternoon in Wingham. The Ironmen came back from a four goal deficit and beat the Barons 7-5.

Kincardine’s next game could be an interesting match-up. Hanover will be at the Davidson Centre Friday night for an 8 p.m. start. As mentioned, the teams were supposed to meet this past Friday, but the game was postponed due to weather.

Friday’s game will be the first meeting between the clubs since Kincardine defenceman Dave Chessell was injured by Hanover’s Steve Hillier on a hit from behind, a hit perceived as a cheap shot from the Kincardine camp. There were two other questionable hits in the game, which Kincardine won by a 3-2 score.