Bulldogs battle for 5-3 win

Late goal completes comeback in entertaining contest

A fortuitous third period bounce lifted the Kincardine Bulldogs to victory Sunday afternoon at the Davidson Centre.

Nathan Barfoot fans on a one-timer while being watched by Wingham's Andrew Turton during a second period power play Sunday afternoon. Barfoot and the 'Dogs came from behind to win 5-3. (Josh Howald photo)

An empty net goal with 10.6 seconds remaining clinched a 5-3 win for the Bulldogs.

With Kincardine and the Wingham Ironmen tied at three, Joel Alton sent a high slapshot towards the net with a little more than four minutes to play. The shot hit teammate Taylor Lukasik in the elbow and bounced into the WIngham net for the game winner.

“I’m not real sure what it hit,” said coach Brian Royle after the game. “It was an ugly goal. But overall I’m pleased we battled back today.”

Despite Alton scoring the first goal of the game, Kincardine actually trailed for much of the contest.

Alton’s older brother, Blake, answered back minutes later when he scored for Wingham with a low shot the beat George Grammenopolous in the Kincardine net.

The Ironmen took a 2-1 lead before the end of the frame.

Graeme Brown was absolutely robbed by WIngham goaltender Jason Hamilton, and the rebound went straight out to WIngham’s Andy Cline. Cline busted through the middle and walked in alone on Grammenopolous, beating him with a backhand deke.

The Bulldogs tied the game late in the second period. Ryan Armstrong’s centering pass found Tim Dwinnell all alone out front, and Dwinnell made no mistake burying the puck between the legs of Hamilton.

Wingham regained the lead less than a minute into the third perioid. Grammenopolous played the puck up the boards, but  his pass was picked off by Wade Stephenson.  Stephenson fired a slapshot on goal, which was stopped by Grammenopolous while scrambling back to his crease. Andrew Turton was standing on the doorstep and backhanded the rebound into the Bulldogs net.

With Kincardine in danger of losing its first game of the season in regulation, Brock Spencer tied the game with six minutes remaining.

Spencer took a centering pass from Lukasik on the rush and buried a one-timer past Hamilton. Dave Chessell also assisted on the goal, which came off the rush.

Alton got credit for the winning goal, which was disputed by the Ironmen, who said Kincardine had six players on the ice at the time.

With Hamilton on the bench for an extra attacker, Underwood carried the puck out of the Kincardine end and moved the puck up the boards to Dwinnell, who scored into an empty net for his second goal of the game.

“They’re our guys,” said Royle of Dwinnell, Alton and Underwood, when asked about his snipers playing late in the game. “We’re very comfortable with them in our own end and they were there when we needed them.”

Kincardine squandered many powerplay opportunities, which didn’t impress Royle.

“I’m not happy with our powerplay,” he said. “We have developed some bad habits the past few games. We were trying to be too cute, too pretty and weren’t getting the puck to the net.”

Those bad habits come from games like Saturday’s, which Kincardine won by a 9-2 score.

Drew Pegrum got the win as the ‘Dogs outshot Goderich 32-15.

Underwood scored two shorthanded goals and added two assists for a four point night.

Lukasik scored once and had two assists, while Spencer had a goal and an assist. Mike Bujold scored twice and Brown scored once. Assists went to Dwinnell, Derek Regier, Ben Larsen, Brett Parsons and Chessell.

Elsewhere in the Western Junior C hockey league this weekend it was Mitchell over the Pats 8-4, Walkerton over Hanover 4-3 in a shootout, Walkerton over Wingham in overtime and Goderich beating Mount Forest 5-3.

Up next for Kincardine is a Halowee’en home date against the Goderich Sailors Friday night. Saturday night the ‘Dogs will be in Mount Forest to take on the Patriots.