Sobeys to sell wine, beer and cider

By Barb McKay

Kincardine Sobeys has been selected as one of 67 grocery stores in Ontario to begin selling select wine, beer and cider products.


Kincardine Sobeys workers unionize

By Barb McKay

Employees at Kincardine Sobeys voted last Tuesday night to join Unifor.

Representatives at the national office of Canada’s largest private sector union confirmed last Wednesday that staff voted to form a new bargaining unit that will include full-time and part-time employees, as well as students. Kincardine is only the second Sobeys location in Ontario to unionize. Unifor also represents workers at the Sobeys distribution centre in Whitby.

Jenny Ahn, assistant to the national secretary-treasurer of Unifor, said employees contacted the union back in the summer with concerns about their work environment.

“The scheduling and hours of work are all over the place,” she said. “Pay scales and wages are all over the place and unfair.”


Food bank visits expected to increase as winter approaches

By Barb McKay

As winter approaches and utility costs increase, so does use of the Kincardine food bank.

While the number of visits to the food bank at the Kincardine Anglican Church on Russell Street were not as high for the first 10 months of this year as they were for the same time period in 2015, volunteers expect to see an increase in traffic in the coming months.


Break and enter in Huron Twp.

Several big ticket items were swiped in a break, enter and theft at a rural property along Bruce County Road 6 in Huron Twp.

The South-Bruce OPP is investigating the theft, which happened sometime between 9 p.m. on Oct. 22 and 10 a.m. on Oct. 23. A detached shed on the property was forcibly entered and numerous items taken. This list of stolen items includes a Hummingbird fish finder, a Mastercraft welder, a 6,500-watt generator, a 2,000-watt inverter and a Logistics speaker system with subwoofer. The value of the stolen property is estimated to be worth more than $2,000.


Midgets win McMillan Memorial

Kincardine celebrates while Saugeen Shores goalie Cam Plante ponders how a defensive end face-off win ended up in his own net. For the full details, don't miss this week's sports section. (Josh Howald photo)


Ontario Energy Board puts hydro rate increase on hold

The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) announced last week that it is holding the line on the prices most Ontario households and small business customers pay for electricity.

According to the OEB, the decision means that commodity prices, shown in the electricity line of consumer bills as Time-of-Use (TOU) pricing, will remain unchanged for residential and small business customers on the Regulated Price Plan (RPP) through April 30, 2017.

The OEB reviews these prices every six months – on May 1 and Nov. 1 – and forecasts how much it will cost to supply consumers with electricity. Based on the forecast, prices are established to recover actual costs over time.

In this case, the OEB's review determined the prices that customers have been paying since May 1, 2016, will be effective at recovering forecast costs for at least the next six months. Prices for customers who pay RPP tiered prices will likewise stay the same.


EQAO confirms cyber attack

The Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) confirms that the cause of the technical issues that resulted in the cancellation of the Oct. 20 province-wide trial of the online Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) was an intentional, malicious and sustained Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack—a type of cyberattack.

In a media statement issued Monday, EQAO officials said they share the disappointment experienced by thousands of students, families and educators across the province. The agency recognizes the considerable time and energy spent, by all stakeholders, preparing for the trial assessment, and it sincerely apologizes for the considerable inconvenience that resulted.


Cooking club teaching life skills

Some of the mmebers of the new cookign club at St. Anthony's School help unpack some supplies recently. From left are Kaitlyn Kirkconnell, Cecilia Travale, teacher Monique Travale, Allyson Huggard, Maggie Carr, Claire Marcotte, teacher Andria Culbert and Charlie Shepherd. For the the full story, don't miss this week's print edition of The Kincardine Independent. (Barb McKay photo)


Police still need to identify body

Investigators from the Huron County OPP Crime Unit continued to appeal to the public for help in identifying a body that washed up on the beach just north of Port Albert Oct. 15.

Investigators would like to speak with anybody who may have recently come across an abandoned vessel or related marine or sporting equipment along the Lake Huron shoreline. Any findings of vessels, including but not limited to kayaks, canoes, fishing boats, kiteboards, paddleboards, personal watercrafts, inflatable rafts, dinghies should be reported to police. You can reach the Huron OPP Crime Unit at 519-524-8314 or at 1-888-310-1122.


Municipality to block vehicle access to piers

By Barb McKay

Safety measures are being implemented at Kincardine’s north and south piers.

Municipality of Kincardine parks and recreation director Karen Kieffer presented a report to council during its meeting last Wednesday with recommendations to limit access to the piers. A committee was formed to look at options following an incident in January where a man drowned when his pickup truck slipped off the north pier and into the lake.